Engr. Prof. Joseph Terlumun Utsev, FNSE, FNICE, FNIWE FICEN, FIIA.
The Honourable Minister, Federal Ministry of Water Resources & Sanitation
Engr. Prof. Joseph Terlumun Utsev who is currently the pioneer Rector, Federal Polytechnic Wannune, Benue State, is a renowned Professor of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Politician, Entrepreneur, and Administrator of great repute hails from Buruku Local Government Area of Benue State.
Engr. Prof. Utsev holds a Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Civil Engineering from the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi where he graduated as the best graduating student in 2004 with Second Class Honours “Upper Division” in grade.
Between 2005 and 2006, he was at the Kaduna State Development and Property Company (KSDPC) for his one (1) year mandatory NYSC scheme.
The distinguished engineering scholar is an alumnus of the prestigious University of Nigeria Nsukka where he bagged both Masters and PhD Degrees in Water Resources and Environmental Engineering in 2007 and 2011 respectively.
Upon completion of his NYSC, He was retained as a Graduate Assistant in the Department of Civil Engineering, Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi in 2006 where he rose through the ranks to become Professor of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering in 2021.
Due to his love and passion for excellence, the amiable administrator, Utsev was appointed as Deputy Director and later confirmed as Director in the Centre for Entrepreneurship Development, Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi from 2013 – 2017.
In March 2017, Prof. Utsev was appointed as Honourable Commissioner, in charge of the Ministry of Water Resources and Environment Benue State in recognition of his hard work and dedication to the growth of the Engineering profession and society at large.
In 2020, He was appointed by President Muhhamadu Buhari as the Executive Director Engineering, Lower Benue River Basin Development Authority, Makurdi.
President Muhhamadu Buhari again in 2021 appointed him as the pioneer Rector, Federal Polytechnic Wannune – Benue State.
He has successfully, supervised many undergraduate and postgraduate research and also attended many professional conferences and workshops across Nigeria, Africa, United States of America, United Kingdom, among others.
Engr. Prof. Joseph Terlumun Utsev is a recipient of many awards which include but are not limited to the following:
- Award of Excellence. Joseph Sarwuan Tarka University Alumni Association -Campus Branch. 2023
- Award of Excellence for Contribution to Automotive Industry in Benue/Nigeria at Large. Automotive and Locomotive Engineers Institute. 2023
- Best Commissioner in the Water/Environmental Sector in Nigeria. Nigerian Independent Assessors. 2018
- Best Graduating Student. Civil Engineering Department. 2004.
- Most Resourceful Lecturer. Nigerian Universities Engineering Students Association, FUAM Chapter. 2015.
- Distinguished Merit Award. Joseph Sarwuan Tarka University Alumni Association – Campus Chapter. 2018
- Academic Noble Award. Institute of Industrial Administration of Nigeria. 2016.
- Distinguished Merit Award for Water Resources Engineering Infrastructural Development, The Nigerian Institution of Water Engineers, Makurdi Chapter. 2018
- Award for Effective Service Delivery and Open Door Policy. Jemgbagh Media Forum. 2018.
- Jemgbagh Youth Ambassador. Jemgbagh Students Association. 2018.
- Onov Mba CWO Mba Tavershima. Catholic Women Organization, St. Joseph’s Parish, Akpehe, Makurdi. 2018.
- Vessel of Perseverance. FYB Forum, Catholic Chaplaincy, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi. 2018.
- Best Honourable Commissioner in the Water/Environmental sector in Nigeria by Independent Assessors- 2018.
- Academic Noble Award by the Institute of Industrial Administration of Nigeria in 2016.
- Award for Effective Service Delivery and Open Door Policy by the Jemgbagh Media Forum – 2018.
- Distinguished Merit Award for Water Resources Engineering Infrastructural Development – 2018.
- Appreciation by ACE Events management, UK, for support at the 2017 Edition of Water Africa and West Africa Building & Construction.
- In 2018, the Campus Chapter of the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi Alumni Association honoured him with a Distinguished Merit Award.
- In acknowledgement of his drive for excellence, Engr. Prof. Utsev was named Vessel of Perseverance by the St John Paul II Catholic Chaplaincy, Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi in 2018.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
Engr. Prof. Terlumun Utsev is a Registered Civil Engineer by the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN),
- Fellow, Nigerian Society of Engineers,
- Fellow, Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers,
- Fellow, Nigerian Institution of Water Engineers,
- Fellow, Institute of Corporate Executives of Nigeria,
- Fellow, Institute of Industrial Administration of Nigeria,
- Member, Institute of Entrepreneurs of Nigeria,
- Graduate Member, Nigerian Institution of Management among others.
He is the immediate past Chairman of the Makurdi Branch of the Nigerian Institution of Water Engineers and is currently the National Ex-Officio of the Institution.
Engr. Prof. Joseph Terlumun Utsev enjoys reading, initiating new research frontiers, traveling, and playing badminton. He is happily married and the marriage is blessed with children.