To develop and implement policies, projects and programmes that will enable sustainable access to safe and sufficient water to meet the social, Cultural, environmental and economic development needs of all Nigerians.
Our Vision is to provide sustainable access to safe and sufficient water resources to meet the cultural, social and economic development needs of all Nigerians, for all uses, in ways that contribute to enhancing public health, food security, poverty alleviation while maintaining the integrity of freshwater ecosystems of the nation.
Our Mission is to be the vehicle of the nation’s integrated water resources management contributing optimally to the socio-economic activities of the nation through comprehensive planning; facilitating and creating enabling environment for integrated conservation, development, management of various water uses for preservation of freshwater ecosystem, adequate access to safe water and sanitation, production of sufficient food and provision of employment opportunities.
Approved Priorities of the Federal Ministry of Water Resources
The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation was mandated to monitor and assess the implementation of the priorities and deliverables of Ministries’ mandates, and the Ministries to give Performance Reports during the Federal Executive Council Meetings. The six (6) Federal Ministry of Water Resources approved Priorities for the period 2019-2023 Ministerial Mandates for implementation as signed by the Honourable Minister and the Permanent Secretary were as follows:
- complete all priority ongoing dam and irrigation projects;
- finalize and implement the Flood Management Master Plan for River Niger and River Benue;
- aggressively implement the Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Programme and end Open Defecation in Nigeria;
- support the implementation of water management and water settlement projects in the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP);
- actively collaborate with the private sector to create a large number of well-paying jobs for Nigerian youths; and
- implement a strategy towards the realization of Mr. President’s June 12 promise to take 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in the next 10 years.