KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY ENGR. SULEIMAN H. ADAMU, FNSE, FAEng., HONOURABLE MINISTER OF WATER RESOURCES ON THE OCCASION OF THE 2021 WORLD WATER DAY CELEBRATION HELD AT CHIKA VILLAGE, ABUJA
It is my pleasure to address you at this occasion of the commissioning of the Chika Village Water Supply Scheme, Abuja to mark the 2021 World Water Day.
- We need water for all aspects of life – domestic use, livestock, crop production, transportation, fishing, as well as other uses. The availability in sufficient quantity and quality is a first-step to poverty alleviation. As we are all aware, the Administration of President Muhammadu Buhari places a lot of emphasis on activities that will improve the quality of life of Nigerians. It is for this same reason that the President declared a State of Emergency on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene way back in November, 2018.
- The provision of potable water supply and sanitation has been the responsibility of the three tiers of government, i.e. Federal, State and Local Governments. The Federal Government, through our Ministry, provides the overall policy framework, general coordination, monitoring and evaluation for water projects. The State and Local Governments are expected to provide potable water to the citizens living in the urban and rural areas respectively, within the established federal policy framework.
- The Federal Government’s direct involvement in the provision of water supply facilities is an intervention that is meant to accelerate access to potable water in the country towards meeting national and internationally set targets. Where such intervention for water facilities have been completed, the usual practice is for them to be handed over to the beneficiary Communities for appropriate operation and maintenance. Today, it is the turn of Chika Village Water Supply Scheme to be handed over to the community.
- I am particularly delighted that the objective of providing access to potable water supply to the people living in this community is being achieved today. With the commissioning of this scheme, I am convinced that incidences of water borne diseases will be curtailed while sanitation and personal hygiene will be improved and income generation will be enhanced, thereby bringing about general positive changes in the overall socio-economic well-being of the people of Chika community.
- Permit me, at this juncture, to congratulate the Leaders and people of Chika Village, to be served by this water facility and I enjoin you all to safeguard this laudable water scheme and ensure its functionality at all times.
- As indigenes of this community, you should take ownership in such a way that there is regular good and routine maintenance so as to provide long term service to the people living in this community.
- I commend the efforts of our consultants, contractors and indeed the staff of the Federal Ministry of Water Resources that worked assiduously to complete this project.
- It is my honor and privilege to now commission the Chika Village Water Supply Scheme to the glory of God and benefit of the good people of Chika Village.
- I thank you all for your attention.
Please follow and like us: