Climate Change Unit
The Unit is to mainstream climate change concerns into the water sector for sustainable water management nationwide. The functions of the Unit are as summarized below:
- Strengthening of overall policy/institutional framework, including resource mobilization and information dissemination that will promote mainstreaming climate change issues into the water sector.
- To promote low carbon Development; Low carbon solutions for rural areas; renewable energy options.
- Capacity building in the water sector on climate change.
- Publish regularly, maps, bulletin, etc with the view of disseminating information on climate change
- Sensitize the public on Climate Change as it affects the water sector and the strategy for mainstreaming climate change phenomena into water resources planning and management.
- Domesticate in the water sector, the globally-agreed climate change regime of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
ACTIVITIES & PLANS
- Completed the Publication of the “Climate Change Information Guide for Hydrological Area One (otherwise known as Sokoto –Rima River Basin)
- Commenced the Study of the Western Littoral (Hydrological Area Six)
- About to commence the publication of “National Climate Resilient Water Management Plan (NCRWMP)
- To extend Training Workshop to other River Basin Development Authorities
- Strengthening of the RBDAs on climate resilience projects/programs for adaptation and mitigation mechanisms for sustainable management of the nation’s water resources.
ACTIVITIES in Pictures