INAUGURAL SPEECH BY THE PERMANENT SECRETARY, FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES, MRS. DIDI ESTHER WALSON-JACK, mni, AT A 3-DAY PREPARATORY MEETING TOWARDS THE DIGITIZATION AND AUTOMATION OF FILING SYSTEM IN THE MINISTRY HELD AT THE MINISTRY’S CONFERENCE ROOM ON FRIDAY, 19TH FEBRUARY, 2021.
I am highly delighted to be in your midst today for the commencement of this 3-day Preparatory Meeting towards the Digitization and Automation of the Ministry’s Filing System.
2. it will be recalled that one of the key pillars of the 2017-2020 Federal Service Strategy and Implementation Plan (FCSSIP) is the establishment of an Enterprise Content Management System (ECMS) which components include digitization/automation of documents. This commendable Initiative is to ensure the smooth running of Government business and facilitate the flow of efficient service delivery while minimizing physical contact.Indeed, the incidence of the COVID-19 Pandemic has, become a catalyst to accelerate the implementation of the Initiative.
3. To this end, all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs)have been directed by the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (HCSF), to commence the process of Digitization/Automation of theirfiles and other records without further delay.In this regard, MDAs are required to forward a Quarterly Report to the HCSF on progress made on the implementation.
4. A Workplan for the Ministry’s Digitization Programme has graciously received the approval of the Honorable Minister, Engr. Suleiman H. Adamu, FNSE, FAEng. The Plan will enable the Ministry key into the ECMS of the Federal Civil Service.
5. As part of our commitment to the successful implementation of the Digitization Programme, this 3-day Preparatory Meeting has been put together to provide a veritable platform for fruitful stakeholder engagement and to evolve a strategic model of engendering a desirable digital work environment in the Ministry and the entire Water Sector. This new effort is also expected to help improve confidentiality in the handling of Government information.
6. The Specific Terms of Reference (TOR) of the Committee are as follows:
i. study the content of the Ministry’s Digitization Workplan and ensure its successful implementation;
ii. develop a policy framework and implementation guideline for the Ministry’s Digitization Programme;
iii .develop key Performance Indicators and a comprehensive reporting template for the Digitization Programme;
iv. monitorand evaluate the implementation process of the Digitization Programme on a regular basis with a view to addressing possible challenges and keeping the on track;
v. produce a of Quarterly Report to be submitted to the HCSF through the Permanent Secretary; and
vi. embark on any other important activity that could contribute to the successful implementation of the Ministry’s Digitization Programme.
7. Distinguished Directors and Staff, the first step in our journey to the digital world is the assemblage of experienced representatives of each Department of the Ministry to constitute the membership of the Ministerial Technical Committee on Digitization (MTCD). Your membership of this Committee is a demonstration of the Ministry’s trust and confidence in your ability to add value to the successful implementation of the Programme. You are therefore expected to bring your experience to bear on this significant Ministerial assignment.The Composition of the Committee is as follows: (Please see the attached list)
8. On this note, Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my pleasure and honour to inaugurate the Minitrial Technical Committee on Digitization this 19th day of February, 2021and declare this 3-day Preparatory Meeting open.
9. I wish you fruitful deliberations and thank you all for your kind attention.
Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack, mni
Federal Ministry of Water Resources,
Friday, 19th February, 2021