I am pleased to perform the Inauguration of the National Steering Committee of the Programme for Integrated Development and Adaptation to Climate Change in the Niger Basin (PIDACC/NB) Nigeria component, being facilitated by the Niger Basin Authority.
2. PIDACC/NB is the second phase of the Niger Basin’s Silt and Erosion Control Program, which was funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and was successfully executed by the Niger Basin Authority (NBA) in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger from 2005 to 2011. In view of the benefits obtained by the beneficiary States, the NBA initiated the second phase of the Regional Programme popularly known as “PIDACC/NB” with the financial support of African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU), Green Climate Fund (GCF) and Global Environmental Facilities (GEF), not only to consolidate on the achievement of the programme, but to extend it to the other member countries of the NBA which include; Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote D’ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Chad.
3. The decision to call for the inauguration of the Committee is sequel to the fulfilment of the Government of Nigeria’s obligation on the financing arrangement and subsequent signing of the Financing Agreement for the Implementation of PIDACC/NB in Nigeria with African Development Fund, as well as the approval given by my office for its composition with the sole aim of strengthening the implementation and achievement of the programme objectives, which are:
(i) To build resilience of ecosystems and natural resources;
(ii) To build resilience of populations and;
(iii) Program coordination and management in Nigeria.
4. The Roles and Responsibilities of the Committee chaired by the Permanent Secretary of the Executing Agency among others include: –
- Providing guidance and ensuring the achievement of the Project Development Objectives (PDO);
- Approval of Annual Work Plan & Budget (AWP&B) and Revised Procurement Plan;
- Appraisal of regular progress reports and financial statements for informed decision.
5. As part of the Financing Agreements, the Focal Ministry, the Federal Ministry of Water Resources, has set-up the National Programme Coordination Unit (NPCU) with the appointment and recruitment of key-staff to implement the programme after receiving Federal Executive Council’s (FEC) approval for the implementation of the PIDACC/NB in Nigeria on 9th May, 2019. Consequently, in order to further strengthen the governance of the Programme, the under listed membership of the Committee was constituted and approved in January 2020:
|S/N||NAME||ORGANIZATION||DESIGNATION||POSITION WITHIN THE COMMITTEE|
|1||Mrs. Didi Walson – Jack||Federal Ministry of Water Resources||Permanent Secretary||Chairperson|
|2||Mrs. Alice O. Ojowu||Federal Ministry of Water Resources||Department of Water Resources Planning and Technical Support Services||Member|
|3||Mrs. Aisha Omar||FMFB&NP||Director, Department of International Economic Relations||Member|
|4||Mr. Abbas Suleiman||Federal Ministry of Environment||Director, Department of Environmental Assessment||Member|
|5||Engr. A. G. Abubakar||Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development||Director, Department of Agriculture||Member|
|6||Engr. Abubakar H. Mu’azu||Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority||Managing Director||Member|
|7||Prof. M. A. Ali||Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority||Managing Director||Member|
|8||Engr. Muhammed Buhari Bature||Sokoto – Rima River Basin Development Authority||Managing Director||Member|
|9||Engr. Gerald O. Osuagwu||Anambra – Imo River Basin Development Authority||Managing Director||Member|
|10||Engr. Baba U. Musa||PIDACC/NB, Nigeria||National Coordinator||Secretary|
6. I wish to urge you to put in your best and ensure the proper implementation of the Programme.
7. It is now my honour to inaugurate the Committee for the immediate commencement of your assigned responsibilities. I wish you success in this endeavour.
8. Thank you for your attention.