As we gather today to do honour to a distinguished Public Servant who has served meritoriously and is bowing out after the statutory time permitted for service, I feel truly delighted to have the opportunity to make a speech.
- Since Wednesday, 30th September 2020 when I joined the Federal Ministry of Water Resources (Water Family as the Hon. Minister fondly calls it), I have been privileged to work with Engr. Benson at very close quarters. I feel confident to assert that he has helped to restore the glory of the Public Service and the Water Sector in many unique ways. He is a father and friend to all and an adversary to none. He spear-headed many initiatives that sought in my view, to strengthen the bonds of unity among top Management, Staff of his Department, the Federal Ministry of Water Resources, Public Service, and the general public.
- Undoubtedly, his greatest strength is his disarming humility and courtesy to all who encounter him, including myself. He got so many things done for the Ministry by putting himself last. It is a character strength that is most ideal and worthy of emulation for every Public Servant, if we must remain true to our mandate as servants of the people. He was never the type to wear the authority or privileges of his office on his sleeve and despite how demanding most of his task were, he remained true to his calling as a quintessential leader of the Public Service.
- His brief as Director of Water Supply and PPP was to maintain a necessary but delicate balance between the PPP and the career Public Service discharging that brief with excellence as evidenced in the achievements of his Department.
- Engr. Benson Ajisegiri has contributed his quota to enhance the success story of the Water Sector as explicitly captured in the 5 years compendium of Water Resources development by the Hon. Minister, Engr. Suleiman H. Adamu FNSE, FAEng. (November 2015 – November 2020).
- Under Engr. Benson’s watch as Head of Department of Water Supply and PPP, the Ministry deployed new strategies to improve access to potable water supply in the country towards achieving 100% access by 2030. Since 2015, National access to basic water supply increased to 71%, from 67%, with over 9.59 million more people, with the construction of over 2,300 additional Water Points across the country, creating 12,435 direct jobs and 24,870 indirect jobs.
- Engr. Ajisegiri as you bow out gracefully, after a career of unblemished and noble service, I believe that I speak the minds of all the members of the Water Family when I say that we will miss you! We hope to still have you visit and work with the family as often as possible. Please be assured that you go with the abundance of our best regards and sincere wishes for unqualified success in your future endeavours.
- I wish you a happy retirement in good health, sound mind and long life. I thank your wife and children whom I believe created the conducive environment at home and demonstrated the understanding that have certainly been of immense value towards achieving all the successes that your service years have witnessed.
- Thank you for dedicated service to your Fatherland. Happy Retirement and God bless you!
Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack, mni
Federal Ministry of Water Resources, Abuja.
Monday, 23rd August 20